Saturday, May 23, 2009

Sponsor

My husband came home after a meeting and looked a bit strange. When we started talking he told me that he got caught up on a phone call and by the time he got off it was 1:10 and he missed the meeting. (I was let down inside. I thought here come the excuses!)He told me he really needed to go to the bathroom so he went in the meeting room. When he came out he saw a guy there and asked him about how to find a sponsor. The guy told him to "pull up a chair!" (A sponsor! Wow! What a great thing and what a relief!) (As I'm typing this....I should see how I was judging him!)

He mentioned that he really like the guy....He had been in the program for 11 years and he owned a bar! My husband really liked that. The sponsor gave him 5 things to do: Buy the book, read the book for 20 min, call the sponsor and help somebody else. (I know that is only 4...but I forgot the other one.) I didn't understand the "help somebody else" but the more I think about it...It means to go to a meeting and talk to someone there about what you went through.....Which gets you to a meeting!! (Which is what one of my fears is....will he go to the meetings everyday.)

I am not understanding right now what is happening but it's really nice. My husband is so intentive it's a bit scary....but I love it. He is asking me how I'm feeling, etc....WHAT? I am not sure if he has ever asked me this and not walked away when I was answering. He is actually human right now.....Thank you God!!

I am noticing something that isn't good about this whole deal. I am becoming content and not reading my books and going to my meetings.......I need to keep up my work!!

We are going to a AA speaker meeting tonight. I have been to one of these before, alone. I asked my husband earlier if he would go with me. I have always dreamed of going to this meeting with him and I never thought it would ever be possible or if he went he would be rolling his eyes and mentally kicking and screaming. But he is going willingly...like as if we talked about going to dinner. I hope this speaker is good.....I think his sponsor will be there. I am looking forward to meeting him.

No comments: