Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Never Alone


In Al-Anon a man said something that made an impact and made me feel good.......

He said, "I went to an empty church yesterday and sat in the pew. A woman came in and sat next to me. After a few minutes of silence, she leaned over and told me "Even though the church is empty......You are never alone!!"

I am reading the Paths of Recovery - Step Three - and going to answer the questions in the back of the chapter to go over with my sponsor on Friday. I only have two more sessions with her until we both leave for summer. She wanted to get me through the first three steps so over the summer I could work the Blueprint Step Four workbook. I feel a bit rushed but she said that I was the kind of person that can obsess and analize to much and this is the way she sees that I should do it. (BTW She is so right with the obsession/over analazing etc. etc.!)

Things that stood out while reading about Step Three;

*No one compels us to turn over our will. We choose to "try" because the way of life we created on self-will alone was neither satifying or serene

*I feel sometimes God is looking down on me, shaking his head, and thinking "When will she ever learn!"

*I know God gives me the priviledge of making my own decisions. Sometimes I do the wrong things and he let's me experience the consequences of my own mistakes.

*He is always with me and loves me unconditionally

*Step One gave me Honesty; Step Two gave me Hope; and Step Three gave me Faith..
........................................................................

I do believe in God....God is the one who provides us beauty, like sunsets, to love and appreciate....even when there is ugliness all around us.

3 comments:

Wait. What? said...

The 'god' part was the most difficult for me - after so many years of turning my back on my faith and religion, I had to figure out what my higher power should be... it took me months to get to a place where I was OK with this part of AL anon - of my own recovery process...

I love the story you were told... of the man in the church - profound .

Gin said...

Awesome post. All of it is 100% true. We have our own free will. We are free to make our mistakes and we are free to learn from them.

Syd said...

I have come to believe that there is a power greater than myself. For me, that power is a God. This isn't a religious God but one who encompasses all things and looks with love on every creature.